A tempered glass explosion. That is the best way I can think of to describe what woke me up in the middle of the night. Wake up to the sound of breaking glass, sweep down the hall with a flashlight in one hand and my pistol in the other, expecting to find someone breaking in. Walk into my home office/editing room and see total chaos. The glass top desk I’ve had for the last 15 years or so decided to spontaneously explode. Wall to wall glass. One monitor is shattered, one was damaged to the point of not being usable and one survived. Did you know that glass used on these desks makes popcorn sounds as it lays on your floor after shattering? It does.
It turns out that tempered glass explosion is actually a well documented phenomena, and there are many folks who have written about their experiences with it online. Stereo cabinet doors, desks, book shelves, and the like have all simply exploded at random in the homes of their owners. Apparently tempered glass is sort of a sandwich of glass, and it is under high pressure at all times. If it gets too hot or too cold, or gets a nick in the surface, the whole thing can explode and throw pieces of glass all over the room. If you are the owner of something like a glass desk, be aware, this can possibly happen. I had no idea!
Some of my friends know that there is one Japanese word which heavily influenced my life in situations like this. Shougunai.